Saturday, July 17, 2010

Four important things 2010 has taught me..

It is hard to believe but it was not too long ago I wrote my New Year's day post and "woke up" to the possibilities of each and every day that lie ahead of me. I started thinking today about a couple of things that I have realized since then that I wanted to share with you...

  • How to avoid "I Want More" syndrome. Regardless of how much you have, whether it is money, material possessions, vacation time, or an afternoon at the beach, it is near impossible to be fulfilled. Have you ever noticed that after a long weekend or a vacation you find yourself saying that you could have stayed a few extra days? "If only I'd had another week.." Or have you realized that when you go shopping and spend a few bucks you find that you also want that new shirt..and those other pair of shoes.. ? It's ironic really that the more you have the more you want, but not too long ago one of my friends made a statement that really stuck with me: "Take only what you really need." Living by this motto is challenging in the society that we live in with a heavy focus on material items and competition for who has more, but I think ultimate happiness lies outside of the things that you have. And while you're at it, try to stay in the moment and enjoy exactly where you are right now. If you have two days off of work, don't wish for three. It won't do you any good anyways!
  • "The Secret" really does work. And if you don't know what I am referring to, then you need to read the book! Ever since I read "The Secret," I really have noticed things working out just when I need them to. It's a reminder too, that you can't just sit around wanting things to happen, but set yourself up for the success that you're looking for. And you just may be surprised at how this works, every time.
  • Have a calm friend or family member on speed dial. This one may sound silly, but I have a good reason for writing it! Recently I started calling my grandma anytime I am sitting in traffic on my way to work. I often get frustrated if I am running late or at a stand still when I am trying to get somewhere, and I found that calling my grandma, who is one of the most laid-back, sweet people you will ever know, really helps! I don't call her to vent my frustrations or complain about the awful drive to work, intread I take it as an opportunity to clear my mind and talk to her about the garden, her dog, her upcoming craft shows... and by the time I get off the phone I am in a much better mindset. It's also a reminder that the simple things in life can be the most rewarding.
  • You Can Do It. I know this is the typical, cheesy, overstated "inspiring" mantra ever spoken, but I found this one to be the most true of all. I've witnessed many of my friends overcome their doubts by doing anything and everything to achieve what they set their mind to. I know people who have landed their dream jobs, planned their ideal vacation, and spent time abroad because they didn't let "no" get in the way. Any time I have doubted myself or wondered if I really can do something, I remember that yes, if anyone can do it, I certainly can! Now, I'm not about to go run a marathon or fly to the moon, but I do know that these four simple words have a powerful effect on my attitude when applied to the challenges that I face and the obstacles that can get in the way. I also know that because of this mind set, I have been able to push myself to reaching new limits and have positively changed the way I approach challenges.

Any eye-opening experiences you have had recently? I always love to hear a good story. Email TheDailyChallengeBlog@gmail.com and I'll give you a shoutout in my next post.

1 comment:

  1. "To be upset over what you don't have is to waste what you do have." GW Lyon

    ReplyDelete