Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 113

I figured out why I don't like driving in the snow: I'm incredibly impatient and I don't like anything slowing me down. I often feel like I have a million things that I need/want to do, and sitting in traffic is an incredible waste of time since you can't really multitask! So anyway, I got to thinking about all of this as I was sitting on the highway today on my way home. It turns out that driving in this weather causes you to do two things: slow down, and have a heightened sense of awareness. You're often forced to drive at less than half the speed you normally would, and you find yourself paying more attention to everything going on around you - the falling snow, the pace of traffic, the movement of your tires against the pavement, and the cars pulled over on the right hand lane with their hazard lights on. It turns out any of this can be applied to everyday life. How often do you take the time to slow down? Or to increase your sense of everything going on around you - including matters with friends, family or events. How about someone you know, pulled off on the side of the road, because they need a hand? Take time to slow down. Spend a few minutes everyday as if it were a northeast Ohio blizzard. I think you'll become more aware of what really is going on around you, and what you need to do to s l o w things down a bit in this crazy, fast paced world of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment