Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday's mood-lifting moments..

So I think I'm going to try and continue with Mondays as "mood lifting day" - in an attempt to seek out and identify everything that people around me are unconsciously doing to lift people's spirits! (I think this "seek and identify" theme is the PR student in me.. I can't help it! This is how my brain thinks.) Today was great, and there are a few particular things that I'd like to share that were uplifting in a small but meaningful way.
  • "When it's a rainy day, you've got to make your own sunshine." Directly quoted from my grandma, I believe that this really is the way to approach each and every day. I love this quote from her and I am going to continue to think about it every single day (regardless of the weather!) I think it is an awesome outlook to life. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to catch up with her (at Starbucks, over cinnamon dolce lattes, of course) and she shared some inspiring thoughts that I will hold in my heart and mind forever. The quote I mentioned was my particular favorite.
  • "The Positive Side of Life" blog. Recently started by my brother, this blog is his way of looking at the positives of each day in his life (every day for the next year.) I am thrilled that he has started his own journey to reaching his happiness potential and I really enjoy reading it. I love looking at the world through other people's eyes and I find it especially uplifting when it is a younger person, such as my brother.
  • I came across this picture of my brother today and like his blog, it just reminded me of how middle schoolers really do know the right way to approach life: have fun! He reminds me to relax and have a good time which I promise I'm getting better at doing! I have a lot to learn (and I think he has a lot to teach me.)
  • A new website I discovered, Happy News, only reports on the positive stories. Now that's what I'm talking about! Finally, a media source that has the right idea.
  • Along the same topic of news, I read in the paper that several local organizations are donating their resources to help Haiti. One that stood out in particular was the Rotary Club of Brunswick, who is working to provide Shelter Box packages for those in need. Each kit costs $1000 and contains a tent to sleep eight to ten people, sleeping bags, cooking stove, plastic containers, and many other necessary items for sustaining shelter, warmth, and comfort. I think this is an awesome project and as some of you may know, several years ago my family hosted an exchange student through the Rotary Club so I feel a special connection to them in my heart. If you're interested in making a donation, visit their website.
  • And lastly, a quote by Abraham Lincoln that I think is really fitting to this blog: "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Happy Monday! Fill me in on some mood lifters in your life! :)

2 comments:

  1. I read this yesterday and thought it was a mood lifter:)

    ATTITUDE by Charles Swindoll

    "The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.

    Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

    And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! Thank you so much for posting it. I will keep this and refer back to it often.

    ReplyDelete