On the topic of "mood lifters" from yesterday's post - I think the number one way to spread good cheer (and boost your spirits) is to reach out to the people in your life. Think about it like a game of childhood "tag" where one person runs around trying to catch up with someone so they can be "it." Doing something nice for people in your life is no different! You're IT! It's your chance to reach out to someone, and hopefully, they will continue the "game" by doing the same for another person. Whether or not you think so, you might just make their day with a small gesture of kindness. Here's the real challenge: do something kind without any type of monetary attachment (i.e. buying something doesn't count!) That makes this a lot harder! I have a few ideas, but I'd love to hear from you to hear stories of what others have done for you to make your day or something you have done for someone else.
Here are my thoughts for a great game of TAG (my obsessive-compulsive self requires me to make this into an acronym, so I'm going to go with "Togetherness Accomplishes Greatness.")
- Send someone a nice note or card. I am a huge fan of doing this (whether or not it's a special occasion I just have an obsession with sending cards!) It's a really nice way to let someone know you are thinking about them. And trust me, it is a wonderful feeling to receive one too! I think this way is my all time favorite way to participate in the game of TAG.
- Bake cookies or cook dinner for someone special. It's a nice surprise to get a sweet treat or a home cooked meal and let's be honest, everyone loves food! A few of my favorites include vegan brownies (I like to think of them as "guilt-free"), chocolate chip cookies, or graham cracker toffee.
- Call someone you haven't spoke with in a while. I only talk to my grandma once in a while so I make it a point to set aside a half an hour every now and then to catch up with her. It's also great to reconnect with old friends who you may not talk to regularly.
- Make a playlist of your favorite songs for a friend. I love sharing music - especially when I can create a CD of songs that remind me of a certain person. I think this is a really thoughtful way to reach out to friends.
- Do something unexpected. Today I drove my brother to school on my way to work instead of having him stand out in the cold to wait for the bus! It's a small gesture, but I think he appreciated it.
- Donate, donate, donate! This isn't necessarily reaching out to people you know first hand, but I think the "blind compassion" in this act of kindness makes it that much better. I recently cleaned out my closet and donated three huge bags of clothes and shoes to Goodwill. It was great because 1.) I was able to make a donation and 2.) I finally have a clean closet!
- Share a positive story with someone you know. I love hearing about when my friends or family members have a great day or vacation or whatever it might be that is bringing them happiness.
Unfortunately, I am hitting a roadblock and this list certainly isn't as long as I want it to be! I want to hear from you - Let me know how you play the game of TAG! Share your stories here. :)