Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sneak Preview: Bonnaroo 2011

The Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival 2011 lineup was announced today, providing a perfect opportunity to scope out the up and coming artists who will be performing. Aside from the main headliners that I am excited for (The Black Keys, Mumford & Sons, The Decemberists, Iron & Wine, Ray LaMontagne, Neon Trees, Arcade Fire, The Strokes, and Florence + The Machine), I came across a few non-mainstream artists that I think are going to add an incredible amount of talent to the festival. Check out the songs below and share any comments.

Any bands in the lineup that you'd pay the hefty $240 ticket price to see?



The Head & The Heart 'Down in the Valley' - The fact that this performance was live and sounds incredible gives me hope that they will rock the show and steal the spotlight. I have high expectations for this one!



Jessica Lea Mayfield 'Is This Love?' - Jessica was recently featured on NPR music and I instantly fell in love with her raw lyrics and mellow sound. (Also, she is from Kent, Ohio which gives me yet another reason to support her!) In the song below she is singing with Scott Avett, of The Avett Brothers, in a beautiful duet that highlights her voice and her talent for performing live.




DevotchKa 'How It Ends'  - DevotchKa's new album, set to release March 1, is currently streaming live on NPR music. I have a mild obsession with string instruments incorporated into pop and alternative music, which is why I think I love their sound. This is one of my favorite songs of theirs but after hearing their upcoming album I have a feeling that I will soon have a new number one pick!




Abigail Washburn 'City of Refuge' - What can I say, I have a softspot for a good banjo tune! Washburn does not disappoint in this live performance of her title track from her new album. With her banjo-playing talent and powerful voice, I am definitely looking forward to hearing more  from her!



Ryan Bingham 'The Weary Kind' - Winner of this year's Grammy for Best Song Written for Motion Picture (for the film 'Crazy Heart') and an Oscar and Golden Globe for Best Original Song, there is already a lot of hype surrounding Bingham's talent. Still not convinced? Check out the video below to hear his raspy voice and see for yourself. (Also don't miss his song 'Hallelujah.')

No comments:

Post a Comment