Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cookies for a cause

A blog I subscribed to, Peace, Love & Bagels, shared a post earlier this year about raising money for Bike MS Pedal to the Point by asking readers for donations. In exchange for a contribution, the blogger sent a batch of her famous chocolate chip cookies. (If you were sitting here right now you would probably see a light bulb go off above my head.) As you may remember, I participated in this ride a year ago and had an absolute blast. I am thrilled to see other people sharing their enthusiasm for the event!

In any case, as it is currently National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (which also so happens to be the season for my you-definitely-can't-eat-just-one Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies) I had a thought. Readers who makes a donation to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure of $30 or more by the end of the month will receive a batch of my cookies as a thank you.

As we've all been affected by cancer in some way, I'd like to share my story.

A few years ago a close family friend passed away to breast cancer. To this day, I remember her uncanny skill for gardening, unwavering compassion and unsurpassed skill for baking. Her famous cakes would outshine anyone's homemade dessert at neighborhood block parties and a plate of her cookies left no trail of crumbs to be found. So while I will be the first to admit that my cookies are no rival to Mary's, I would like to live her motto of "celebrate life" by sharing one of the gifts she instilled in me - a joy for baking and sharing with others.

I realize times are tough and asking for donations is a stretch. Consider skipping the latte this week or asking a couple of friends to pool a few bucks together. Every penny counts and I know collectively, we can work to find a cure. If you would like to make a donation, please email me at TheDailyChallengeBlog@gmail.com.

In the meantime, please pass along this post to any cookie enthusiasts you know! I appreciate your support.

-C


Subscribe to The Daily Challenge by Email

No comments:

Post a Comment