Monday, January 18, 2010

Good morning sunshine

How do you begin the daunting task of living each day to its full potential? The thought of putting on a “happy face” for everything in your life probably seems overwhelming. I believe it can be done – but it happens in phases: 1. waking up, 2. reflecting, 3. living, and 4. dreaming. I think the most important thing is to take things in small steps. That’s why I’ve put together a list of simple ways to make waking up each morning better. If you can master these five techniques, (it might take days, weeks, or months), then you will be ready to move on to the next phase, "reflecting," to make each day great. Let me introduce you to the “Fabulous Five”(Ways to Start Each Morning):

1. The first and often most difficult part of each day is to wake up! The next time your alarm goes off, jump out of bed, ready to embrace the day. Trust me this took a lot of time (I am not a morning person and I have this awful habit of hitting snooze for 45 minutes straight.) Have an attitude of energy and excitement for what the day might bring and don’t let yourself think about everything you aren’t looking forward to.

2. Now that you're awake, open your eyes – look around you. Outside. Inside. Everywhere. Your life in general. SEE the positives. SEEK the beauty. You will find it.

3. The phrase, "treat everyone as you want to be treated," can also be rearranged into Treat each day as you want to be treated” – if you want each day to be filled with energy, passion, love, amazement, wonder, and beauty to share with others, you will find it.

4. Appreciate what you have. Stop focusing on what isn’t there – that will come in time. Take a few moments to admire all of the wonderful things in your life. Even if you can only think of one thing to be thankful for – do it as a reminder to yourself that things are great. Keep this positive energy with you and remind yourself throughout the day.

5. Lastly, have a morning routine. I know from experience that as much as I enjoy working out, I can’t for the life of me, get myself to wake up early to do it. So I don’t! Simple as that. I also know that I feel my best when I have at least a half an hour extra to relax, drink coffee, catch up on email, listen to music, etc. I feel the most relaxed when I have plenty of time to wake up in the morning rather than race around trying to get out the door.



It's amazing what a good start to each day can do for you at work, school, or anywhere else you happen to be. It's also incredible how much transforming your habits of waking up with a groan and an un-eager attitude toward each day can make a HUGE difference! Stay tuned for phase two, "reflection." In the meantime, keep me posted on your own morning routines. How do you wake up each morning? What are some things you do to make each day fabulous?

No comments:

Post a Comment