Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Introducing.. Black Velvet Sun

There is something undeniably endearing about a newer band performing at a small venue. The energy is contagious, the smiles and excitement are truly genuine, and more than anything, each person in the audience is a meaningful part of the entire experience. While I do love seeing big headliners perform live in concert, my favorite type of setting is smaller, intimate shows where the band is literally singing to you and pouring their heart and soul into every single note.

Last Friday I ventured to Molly Malone's in LA to check out the band Black Velvet Sun and to familiarize myself with the LA music scene. As a disclaimer to this post, I've been working with Black Velvet Sun the past couple of weeks to assist with PR efforts for the band. However, my opinions of their show are genuinely my own and not an exaggeration.

I didn't know what to expect before the show as I've only had the opportunity to listen to a couple of songs on their Myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/blackvelvetsun), my favorite of which is "Darling." In any case, I was excited to see the band perform and to understand their story and vibe a little more. I believe the true test of any musician is how they perform to an audience and the energy they invoke. Well, let me just say from the first note of their set, Black Velvet Sun was having a great time and bringing the audience right there along with them. They bring a fresh perspective to a traditional rock 'n' roll style mixed with a hint of Electronica. Everything from the beat to the lyrics to the heightened energy in the room made for an enjoyable evening and a pang of disappointment when the last song ended. I am already looking forward to their show at the Whisky on June 18 and encourage you to check out their songs in the meantime.  You can watch their performance of "Darling" from the Molly Malone's show on Facebook at www.facebook.com/blackvelvetsun.

If you're on Twitter follow me @candicedeforest for the latest music news and songs! And feel free to share your favorite artists, lyrics and music news here or via Twitter.

Currently, I'm playing this song on repeat: "Heartbreaker" by MSTRKRFT.

No comments:

Post a Comment