Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Coldplay + social media = #winning

Coldplay released the video for "Paradise" today (check it out here) and let me start out by saying I absolutely love the song and am eagerly anticipating the album Mylo Xyloto due out next week. However, I do have mixed feelings about the video. I can't get past the ridiculous elephant costume (although I have to admit that the cinematography is gorgeous, and I think I'll be dreaming of paradise tonight as well.) Since most of the video is an implied story, I am not a fan of the lyrics written out on pieces of cardboard as I think it's a bit too literal. But to be honest, Chris Martin can get away with anything in my book and at the end of the day, I will still continue to watch it and share it. Maybe it's the "wow" factor we all crave. In the YouTube era of videos when we are used to watching homemade webcam productions, I guess anything goes!



The band is running a pretty cool marketing campaign to spread the word about their new album. They are taking advantage of the nifty album cover to allow fans to create their own version with their initials to use as a Facebook or Twitter avatar. What better way to personalize your brand for your fans and initiate a grassroots movement for publicity? In our ever-connected-social-media-infiltrated world, standing out is important. In particular, the music industry is having a challenging time profiting and has to be creative. I'd say this idea is #winning!

Any other cool music marketing campaigns you've noticed lately?

In the meantime, enjoy the additions to the A-Z playlist project below, and continue sending suggestions to TheDailyChallengeBlog@gmail.com for your favorite morning tunes. Subscribe to the playlist on Spotify here.

"Gone in the Morning" - Newton Faulkner

"Helena Beat" - Foster the People

"Islands" - The xx

"Just One Look" - Doris Troy

"Kick Drum Heart" - The Avett Brothers


"Live in a Van" - Burlap to Cashmere



No comments:

Post a Comment